Slow moving fires are the leading cause of fire related deaths in homes and the most commonly installed type of smoke detector in the U.S. is not designed to detect smoldering, slow-moving fires.
Landlords, building owners or property management companies that fail to properly install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors and warning systems are legally responsible for any deaths or injuries that occur.
Even though people of all ages can suffer injuries from mercury poisoning, this metal is especially harmful to unborn children, infants and very young children. This is because the toxins in mercury usually affect the brain and nervous system, which are developing during these time periods of human growth and development. Mercury poisoning can pass from a pregnant mother to the fetus, causing irreversible damage.
Many materials contain carbon including gasoline, propane, coal, kerosene, and wood. When these materials burn they release Carbon monoxide in a gas. When carbon monoxide is inhaled, it replaces the oxygen that is in the blood; it also keeps oxygen from flowing to vital organs such as the brain and heart, among others.
Manufacturers across industries use and produce chemicals that can be harmful to humans – especially children – if ingested or used improperly in any way. Toxic exposure to paint, varnish and paint thinner by a child occurs when the victim comes into contact with dangerous chemicals and is injured. Studies show that more than 75,000 chemicals are presently registered with the nation’s Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Only a fraction of these thousands of chemicals have undergone appropriate testing to assess whether or not they pose any medical risk to human health.
Exposure to lead can occur in numerous ways including, lead paint poisoning. Generally this occurs when a child ingests leaded paint chips or breathes in air or dust contaminated with lead. Lead poisoning causes nausea, anemia and stomach aches – but these symptoms are often only displayed when very high levels of lead are present. For this reason, it is essential that all children be tested for lead poisoning.
If your child is the victim of fertilizer and pesticides poisoning, your family may be entitled to monetary compensation for the injuries suffered. If the injury is the result of another’s negligence, you have the right to go after them in court and make the party be held responsible. The knowledgeable attorneys at The Law Offices of Gerald J. Noonan can help make your family whole again, whether the accident was a result of child fertilizer and pesticide poisoning or any other type of injury.
An article published by the Scientific American reports that rat and mouse poison endangers as many as 10,000 children every year in the United States. The Environmental Protection Agency (“EPA”), according to the article, has known for decades that access to these super-toxic poisons is too easy for children.
Statistics show that 79 percent of all victims who receive medical treatment for poisoning are children; most of these children are under the age of five. Generally, many of these dangerous and sometimes deadly accidents could have been avoided if proper child supervision – as well as correct warning labels – were in place at the time of the incident.
Poisoning accidents lead to serious physical injury that may result in temporary and/or permanent disabilities. In the worst of cases, these accidents lead to a tragic death. Poisoning occurs when a company improperly mishandles a product or – in the case of child antifreeze and windshield washer fluid poisoning – if dangerous chemicals are improperly marked and then consumed by children. This may also occur if the poisonous substances are not properly managed or stored by a business or property owner.
According to a report issued by Safe Kids Worldwide, nearly 60,000 children in the United States are accidentally poisoned by prescription and over-the-counter drugs. Nearly every minute of every day, there is a poison control center in the U.S. receiving a call about a child who ingested prescription or over-the-counter drugs.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas that is toxic to humans and pets. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of combustion and is produced when the generator burns gasoline. The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, fatigue, and a feeling of weakness. When someone is exposed to carbon monoxide they can become confused, disoriented, experience visual disturbances, faint and may have a seizure.
Children are at the greatest risk for health issues related to lead poisoning. Children have smaller bodies that are growing and this makes them susceptible to absorbing and retaining lead in their bodies. Lead paint is the most common source lead poisoning in children. Lead paint was banned for use in homes in 1973. If your child lived in a home that was constructed before 1973 then they may suffer lead poisoning if they consumed paint chips or inhaled dust from lead based paint.