Home Gas Generator Fires and Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Accidents

Gasoline powered portable generator at home.Gas-Powered Home Generators Can Cause Deadly Accidents

When a storm or accident cuts off electric power, a portable home gas generator is useful and necessary to keep the home running while the utility company makes the necessary repairs. While the output is electricity, the fuel is gasoline, kerosene and other gas-powering agents. If operated incorrectly, home gas generators can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, electric shocks, fires, and burns. Many of these home gas generator accidents are fatal.

Carbon Monoxide Explained

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas that is toxic to humans and pets. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of combustion and is produced when the generator burns gasoline.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, fatigue, and a feeling of weakness. When someone is exposed to carbon monoxide they can become confused, disoriented, experience visual disturbances, faint and may have a seizure.

Home Gas Generators Can Cause Fire and Carbon Monoxide Accidents

Gas generators and the fuel used to run them are fire hazards. Gasoline, propane, kerosene, and other gas agents are highly flammable. They can ignite, explode, and burn. Fuel for your generator should never be stored inside the home, especially near a fuel burning appliance like a furnace or water heater. Gas generators should be turned off and cool before refueling. Gasoline spilled on hot engine parts could ignite and start a fire.

Gas generators also produce high levels of carbon monoxide gas. The colorless, tasteless and odorless gas can accumulate around the exhaust tube quickly and takes many hours to dissipate. People and household pets may not even know they are being exposed to carbon monoxide.

Protecting Your Family: How to Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • NEVER use a home gas generator inside a home, garage, crawlspace, shed or other enclosed area.
  • Run the gas generator in a WELL-VENTILATED area and make sure the exhaust can be vented safely (away from other campers, tents, boats, cabins).
  • Install carbon monoxide alarms (battery operated or plug-in with battery back-up) in home, RV, boat cabin and other areas where carbon monoxide may be present.
  • Test your carbon monoxide alarm monthly.
  • Replace the batteries in your carbon monoxide alarm twice a year. Many people do it when the daylight savings period (changing clocks) starts in late March and then when the period ends in November.

Injured by a Home Gas Generator in Massachusetts?

Experienced Boston Area Personal Injury Attorneys Initial Consultations Are Always Free – No Fee Unless We Recover For You

If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a gas generator accident, then call accident lawyers at the law offices of Gerald J. Noonan today. We have a proven track record with over 35 years of legal experience. Our fire and carbon monoxide accident lawyers have successfully represented victims  for decades and we are ready to take on your case today.

No matter where you are located, we are just a phone call away. Call our law offices today to schedule a free no-obligation case review and consultation at (508) 588-0422 or click the link below to use our Free Case Evaluation Form.

Free Legal Consultation, Brockton Accident Attorneys

Our personal injury lawyers assist accident victims throughout all of Massachusetts, including but not limited to Plymouth County including Brockton, Plymouth, Bridgewater, Marshfield, Hingham, Duxbury, Wareham, Abington, Rockland, Whitman, Hanson, Holbrook, Middleborough; Norfolk County including Quincy, Stoughton, Dedham, Weymouth, Braintree, Avon, Holbrook, Randolph, Canton, Sharon, Brookline, Franklin; Bristol County including New Bedford, Fall River, Taunton, Attleboro, Mansfield, Easton, Raynham, Lakeville, Norton; Cape Cod, Hyannis, Falmouth, Barnstable, Worcester, Springfield, Holyoke, and the Greater Boston area including Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Everett, Lawrence, Lynn, Revere, Dorchester, Roxbury.

Related posts:

Smoke Alarm Lawsuits and Defective Smoke Detectors
There is no doubt that smoke detectors save lives. Most residential fires start in the early morning or late at night while residents are asleep. The ...
House Fire Accident Lawyer
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, each year house fires kill more Americans than all natural disasters combined. Cooking, arson, and heating ...
About Electrical Fires
The cause of the electrical fire is often unseen, located behind the walls or in electrical wiring. The victims are often caught by surprise, unaware ...
Mobile Home and Trailer Park Fires
Mobile home park and trailer fires can be a destructive force. A neighbor’s negligence or a landlord’s failure to provide a safe environment, can caus...
Child Household Cleaner Poisoning
Statistics show that 79 percent of all victims who receive medical treatment for poisoning are children; most of these children are under the age of f...
Photoelectric and Ionization Smoke Detectors
Slow moving fires are the leading cause of fire related deaths in homes and the most commonly installed type of smoke detector in the U.S. is not desi...
Carbon Monoxide Poison Lawsuit Against a Landlord, Building Owner, Hotel or Manufacturer
Landlords, building owners or property management companies that fail to properly install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors and warning systems a...
Gas Fireplace Explosions and Fires
Residential Gas fireplaces provide Massachusetts residents the warmth, comfort, and feel of a real fireplace without the inconvenience or burden of fi...