Accidental Drowning Statistics
Males and Children Ages 1-4 Have The Highest Risk Of Accidental Drowning
Brockton Accidental Drowning • Wrongful Death Trial Lawyers
For more than three decades, our Southeastern Massachusetts personal injury law firm has been helping victims and their families recover for their losses.
According to reports by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), 80% of drowning victims are male, and children ages 1 to 4 have the highest drowning rates of any age group. Thirty percent of all children 1 to 4 years old who died from an unintentional injury, died from drowning (2007) , making fatal drowning the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death for children ages 1 to 14 years (the leading cause is car accidents.)
Holding Homeowners And Pool Owners Responsible For Accidental Drownings
Property owners, pool owners, operators, maintenance companies, and lifeguards all have certain responsibilities when it comes to the safety of swimmers and divers. Unfortunately, not all private owners abide by the strict building codes about fences, gates, filtration, and pool safety features which can result in tragic accidental drownings. For example, pool owners are required to have minimum barricades around their pools so that children cannot wander in and accidentally fall into a pool unsupervised.. Read more…
National Drowning Statistics
Other statistics reported by the CDC:
- In 2007, there were 3,443 fatal unintentional drownings (non-boating related) in the United States, averaging ten deaths per day. An additional 496 people died from drowning in boating-related incidents.
- More than one in five people who die from drowning are children 14 and younger.1 For every child who dies from drowning, another four received emergency department care for nonfatal submersion injuries.
- More than 55% of drowning victims treated in emergency departments require hospitalization or transfer for higher levels of care (compared to a hospitalization rate of 3-5% for all unintentional injuries). These injuries can be severe.
- Nonfatal drownings can cause brain damage that may result in long-term disabilities including memory problems, learning disabilities, and permanent loss of basic functioning (e.g., permanent vegetative state.)
Brockton Accidental Drowning Victim Attorneys • Aggressive Legal Representation • Free Consultation
Proving cases involving accidental drowning requires the skills of an experienced and aggressive trial lawyer. Our lawyers know building codes and all the legal requirements and responsibilities of swimming pool owners, which includes in-ground, above-ground, and even for temporary inflatable on-ground pools, as well as hot tubs, saunas, and Jacuzzis.
If you, or someone you love was seriously injured in a swimming or diving accident, or you lost a loved on in a fatal water related accident, we can help you get civil justice for your losses. For a free, no-obligation consultation, contact our Brockton personal injury and wrongful death attorneys today. There is a statute of limitations for filing claims, so the sooner you call our law firm, the sooner we can help you.
- Beach Accidents and Drowning
- Residential Swimming Pool, Hot Tub, Wading Pool Drowning
- Accident Drowning Involving A Child
- Accidental Drowning Statistics
- Summer Camp Pool Accidents and Drowning
As in the case of many swimming pool drownings in Massachusetts accidents and drowning at public beaches are usually considered to be the fault of the...
We understand that no amount of money can bring back your loved one. But we believe that it is important to hold negligent dog owners responsible for...
Under Massachusetts law, property owners (and occupiers of land) have a responsibility known as Duty of Care. This means that they are required to ma...
Smoke inhalation is the leading cause of death due to fires. It produces injury through several mechanisms, including heat (thermal) injury to the upp...
Apartment complex owners and property management companies have a duty to maintain the property in a reasonably safe condition so that tenants, renter...
Cases involving accidents at condominiums are unique because a condo can be owned by several different people or an association. For this reason, whe...
Pressurized carbon dioxide paintball guns can shoot paintballs at velocities as high 200 mph. Human tissue and flesh is no match for a paintball bulle...
Greater Boston Area Bar Injury Nightclubs and bars are supposed to be places where people can gather and have a good time. However, the chances of a ...