Condominium Accidents and Injuries – Who Can You Sue?
When accidents and injuries occur in a condominium it can be difficult finding out who is at fault for the accident and responsible for any damages. Cases involving accidents at condominiums (also referred to as ‘condos’) are unique because a condo can be owned by several different people or an association. For this reason, where in the building or on the property the accident occurred makes a difference in who may be held responsible for any injuries or losses resulting from an accident.
Condominium associations owe tenants, renters, and visitors a duty to make sure the common areas and shared areas like the hallways, lobbies and parking lots are safe and free of all dangerous and hazardous conditions. They have a duty to take reasonable steps to adequately maintain the premises in a reasonably safe condition.
How Our Lawyers Can Help
When we take a case our attorneys immediately leap into investigating the claim. The first thing we will do is send a notice to the condo owners to preserve any surveillance video that might show how the accident occurred or shed light on who is at fault. We will also request several pieces of information to make sure the condo association is operating in compliance with all Massachusetts laws.
Some of our other requests will include:
- Building plans and permits for the entire condominium complex;
- A copy of the declaration of condominium;
- A copy of the condo association’s bylaws and any subsequent amendments;
- The Condominium Association’s Articles of Incorporation that need to be filed with the Massachusetts Secretary of State;
- Up-to-date condo rules;
- Minutes for every meeting the board of directors held over last 5 years;
- List of all condo unit owners and their contact information;
- All Insurance policies;
- Any agreements or contracts with property management companies;
- All Maintenance and repair logs;
- All Maintenance and repair policies and procedures;
- All Rental records
Most Condominium Accidents and Injuries Occur Due to a Lack of Care and Poor Maintenance Policies and Procedures
The most common condo accidents and injuries occur due to a lack of care and poor maintenance policies and procedures. Our Massachusetts personal injury attorneys have experience dealing with some of the following condo related accidents:
- Condo Slip and Falls Accident Due to Snow and Ice
- Falls Down Staircase to Due to Defect Staircase
- Condo Slip and Fall Injury Due to Poor Lighting
- Pool Drowning Accidents
- Condo Porch and Balcony Accidents
- Condo Dog Bites and Attacks
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Condo Parking Lot Backover Accidents
- Child Lead Paint Poisoning
- Smoke Inhalation Due to Building and Fire Code Violations
Get Your Free Legal Consultation With an Experienced Condominium Accident Claims and Personal Injury Lawyer
If you or a loved one has sustained an injury in a Massachusetts condominium accident it is important you get immediate medical attention. After you have seen your doctor and have a care plan in place you should contact an experienced personal injury attorney that has a track record of successfully bringing injury claims against condo associations. These are unique cases and it is important you hire a firm that has handled similar cases in the past.
Our firm will zealously pursue your claim by building an airtight case that will leave the responsible party with only one option — and that is to pay you fair compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
We offer a free, no-obligation legal consultation to help you understand your rights and the value of your case.