All About Reckless Driving
Reckless driving is one of the most serious threats to driver and passenger safety on Massachusetts roadways. Whether speeding, ignoring road hazards or other drivers, or simply driving in an aggressive manner with the intent to intimidate, reckless drivers cause substantial injuries to those unfortunate drivers who find themselves sharing the road. What exactly is reckless driving? Read on for information, and if you have been injured by a reckless driver, ask an experienced car accident attorney how you can pursue compensation for your injury-related expenses.
What Is Reckless Driving?
Reckless driving is operating a motor vehicle in such a manner as to indicate an indifferent or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property. What this means is that the driver knows that he or she is driving dangerously but continues to do so in spite of the risk. Reckless driving is different than careless driving; while careless driving indicates driving behavior that is inattentive, forgetful, or inconsiderate, reckless driving is downright dangerous.
While different states have a slightly different take on what constitutes reckless driving, some examples might include:
- Speeding 25 miles or more over the speed limit, or excessive speed in a school or construction zone
- Illegal passing maneuvers, including passing around a curve or on the right hand side.
- Erratic lane changes, or weaving
- Deliberately preventing other cars from passing
- Disregarding traffic signs and signals
- Racing other vehicles
- Performing stunts such as donuts or burnouts on a public road.
- Fleeing from a police officer
- Operating a car with known defects, such as faulty brakes
More Examples of Reckless Driving
Still not sure what constitutes reckless driving? Take a look at these news examples for more understanding.
- A warrant was issued for the arrest of a semi-truck driver who killed three people and injured several more in a construction zone. The California based truck driver was accused of traveling through a construction zone at an excessive speed when he collided with a Chevy Silverado, killing both occupants inside. A chain reaction crash followed, in which the truck also rear-ended a Chevy Equinox, killing the driver. In all, seven vehicles were involved in the crash, which happened 3.5 miles into the construction zone. There were warning signs in the construction area, complete with flashing lights and statements that drivers should travel slowly. The semi-truck driver’s charges include three counts of manslaughter, as well as a count of reckless driving and a count of willful reckless driving.
- A man was arrested after leading police officers in a high speed chase through a downtown and a residential area after he fled a traffic stop. While no one was injured in the pursuit, the man faced numerous charges, including fleeing in a motor vehicle to avoid arrest, willful reckless driving, and obstructing a police officer.
- In a concerted effort to catch speeding motorcyclists, two riders in separate pursuits were arrested. In each instance, the rider was traveling more than 100 miles per hour. Both riders—males, ages 24 and 18—were charged with felony flight to avoid arrest and willful reckless driving, as well as other traffic offenses.
- A crash resulted in the death of one teenage girl and criminal charges against the other. A 14-year-old girl has been charged with motor vehicle homicide, as well as three counts of assault and one count of reckless driving for the accident on a rural road that resulted in an SUV that the 14-year-old was driving rolling over into a corn field. The girl’s mother also faces charges in the incident of negligent child abuse and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Two males and four females, all 13 to 14 years old were riding in the vehicle at the time of the accident, and only one of the teens was wearing a seat belt. All suffered injuries. The driver was driving on a school permit, which allows the holder to drive unsupervised to school and home again.
If You Were Injured by a Reckless Driver…
If you were injured in an accident that was caused by a reckless driver, you likely have a lot of questions. For questions pertaining to the legal aspects of obtaining compensation to pay for your injuries and injury-related expenses, an experienced Nebraska car accident attorney can provide a wealth of information. Other services that an attorney can offer you in your situation include:
- Establishing a value to your case, based on the economic expenses you face, such as medical expenses and the cost of repairing or replacing your car, as well as non-economic burdens, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Careful examination of the facts of your case to pinpoint all potentially liable parties and potential sources of insurance.
- Skilled negotiation with the insurance company to obtain the highest settlement possible.
- Aggressive representation of your case in court, including all pre-trial conferences, the trial, and any post-trial appeals.
A free initial consultation with a car accident lawyer can help you determine if you have a good case, and if so, how best to proceed.
The City of Brockton Massachusetts is the state’s sixth largest city with a population of approximately 95,000. It is located twenty miles south of Bo...
SUV and passenger van accidents claims can be very complicated. To get the compensation you deserve after an serious SUV or passenger van rollover ac...
You cannot safely drive a motor vehicle when asleep. Unfortunately, around one in 25 adults self-report falling asleep behind the wheel within the pas...
5 Important Steps for Protecting Your Best Interests An accident is a sudden and traumatic event that can leave you feeling confused and frightened. ...
A quick swerve or a long turn along a windy road rarely leads to SUV or passenger van rollovers. Instead, most SUV rollovers are caused when the vehi...
Quadriplegia and tetraplegia are two terms that describe the same medical condition—full or partial paralysis of the hands, arms, torso and legs. It's...
Our Middleborough Personal Injury Lawyers will work with your insurance provider and the responsible driver's insurance carrier to insure all your bil...
The scene of the accident was chaotic. Your car was destroyed. You were injured. The police arrived to investigate and spent a long time questioning t...