About Accidents Involving Couch Fires

Couch fire lawyersLiving room couches, when set on fire, burn fiercely, producing intense heat and a dark toxic smell. The most dangerous part of a house fire is the flashover, the point in the fire where all the combustible items ignite. Many couch fires are caused by young children whom have been left unattended. The children attracted to the light of the flame are unable to understand that other things catch fire and burn quickly. Sometimes children are so afraid of being punished for creating an accident that they wont report it to their parents. This can engulf a home in flames in a matter of minutes.

Why are Couches Combustible?

Many couches, sofas, and living room furniture sets, including ottomans are made with upholstered fabrics and stuffed with fillers that are made of materials that are highly flammable. If you have ever purchased a brand new couch you should have seen tags everywhere when you were setting up the couch warning you of the highly combustible nature of the couch filler and coverings.

While the presence of smoke detectors in the home and safety education outreach limiting smoking behaviors in the home have helped decrease couch fires, new ignition elements have been introduced that are just as able as traditional fire starters to ignite couches. For example, years ago many couch fires were caused by smoking and falling asleep on the couch or placing heaters too close to the couch. Today, people smoke less inside the home and heaters are not placed in such dangerous places. Now people display candles and incense on sofa tables behind the couch and keep matches and lighters nearby to help light their candles, bringing ignition sources even closer to the couch. The National Fire Protection Agency reports that upholstered furniture caused 2% of all reported house fires but one of every five house fire deaths.

Unlike with mattresses, most of the fire prevention procedures and practices in the upholstered furniture segment come from the manufacturers themselves. There is no federal requirement to test the combustibility of upholstered furniture even though there is a substantial loss of life associated with fires that originate with the family couch.

Protecting Your Family and Belongings

Keeping fire starting elements, like matches and lighters away from the couch, as well as lit candles and incense are immediate safety procedures you can implement in your home to minimize the risk of a couch fire. Placing heaters near the couch and smoking behaviors need to be discouraged. Especially if there are young children in the home, keep all flammable materials and fire starting elements, out of the reach of the children and their friends.

Injured by a Couch Fire Accident in Massachusetts?

Experienced Boston Area Personal Injury Attorneys Initial Consultations Are Always Free – No Fee Unless We Recover For You

If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a couch fire accident, then call the couch fire accident lawyers at the law offices of Gerald J Noonan today. We have a proven track record with over 35 years of legal experience. Our personal injury and accident claims attorneys have successfully represented victims of fire accidents for decades and we are ready to take on your case today.

No matter where you are located, we are just a phone call away. Call our law offices today to schedule a free no-obligation case review and consultation at (508) 588-0422 or click the link below to use our Free Case Evaluation Form.

Free Legal Consultation, Brockton Accident Attorneys

Our personal injury lawyers assist accident victims throughout all of Massachusetts, including but not limited to Plymouth County including Brockton, Plymouth, Bridgewater, Marshfield, Hingham, Duxbury, Wareham, Abington, Rockland, Whitman, Hanson, Holbrook, Middleborough; Norfolk County including Quincy, Stoughton, Dedham, Weymouth, Braintree, Avon, Holbrook, Randolph, Canton, Sharon, Brookline, Franklin; Bristol County including New Bedford, Fall River, Taunton, Attleboro, Mansfield, Easton, Raynham, Lakeville, Norton; Cape Cod, Hyannis, Falmouth, Barnstable, Worcester, Springfield, Holyoke, and the Greater Boston area including Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Everett, Lawrence, Lynn, Revere, Dorchester, Roxbury.

Related posts:

Kitchen and Cooking Fire Accidents
One of the areas in the home most prone to fires is the kitchen. The power source (gas or electric) can be defective. The resulting flame or fire, the...
About Mattress Fires and Flammability Standards
It is hard to believe that many home fires begin with the mattress or bedding in bedrooms. Between the period of 2005 to 2009, the National Fire Prote...
Smoke Inhalation and Respiratory Failure
Smoke inhalation is the leading cause of death due to fires. It produces injury through several mechanisms, including heat (thermal) injury to the upp...
Hot Water Heater Explosion Accident and Fire
Hot water heaters heat water contained in tanks so that when you turn on the kitchen or bath tap inside the home, hot water comes out of the faucet. T...
Apartment Complex Fire
Apartment complex fire victims face years of recovery for burns and other respiratory injuries. If a family member dies during the blaze, the landlord...
Electrical Extension Cord Fires
Fires caused by electric extension cords can be extremely dangerous because of the amount of heat they radiate and how quickly they ignite. Common inj...
Home Gas Generator Fires and Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Accidents
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas that is toxic to humans and pets. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of combustion and is produ...
Space Heater Fires
The NFPA identified the leading factors contributing to home space heating fires. The main causes are failing to clean the chimney and failing to clea...