Electrical Extension Cord Fires

Power extension cordFires caused by electric extension cords can be extremely dangerous because of the amount of heat they radiate and how quickly they ignite. Common injuries include severe and painful burns, particularly in children and pets who often place the electric extension cord in their mouth. Many electrical extension cords are added to an outlet to accommodate the plethora of electronic equipment and appliances found in the home. If the electric outlet is at capacity, defective, or if any of the electric cords are frayed, a fire may result.

Electrical Outlet Basics

Each electrical outlet is designed to transfer a certain amount of electricity. Using an extension cord does not create more electricity but rather divides the existing electricity current to multiple devices which can create an unsafe current.

Detecting Electrical Extension Cord Fire Warning Signs

Oftentimes, there are warning signs that an electrical extension cord may lead to a fire. It is important to recognize these signs and take prompt remedial action to avoid an extension cord fire.

  • Warm plug or cord. When an extension cord is pulling too much power it emits heat.
  • Buzzing electrical outlets. When an electrical outlet is pulling too much electricity to power appliances and personal electronic equipment, the electric outlet may buzz.
  • Any spark when plugging electronic equipment indicates there is a problem with the electrical outlet.

Types of Electrical Cord Fire Accidents

The human body is made up of water. As such it is a good conductor of electricity. Electric shock and electric burn are two common types of electrical extension cord accidents.

  • Electric Shock: Placing a finger, hand, or arm across an electric current may lead to electric shock. A person who experiences electric shock feels a slight tingling sensation, muscle contraction, difficulty pulling away from the electric current, or respiratory or heart failure.
  • Electric burn: Internal and external tissue may burn from severe electric shock. Whether on the surface of the skin or internally through the bone, electric burns are deep and painful.

Protecting Your Family and Belongings

To maintain safe electric current levels in your home, follow these effective tips:

  • Use a surge protector.
  • Learn the electrical load limit on every outlet.
  • Move electrical cords away from heat sources, especially behind TVs and entertainment centers.
  • Do not place extension cords under tape, rugs, or carpeting.
  • Never use a damaged or frayed extension cord.
  • Do not ignore a sizzling, crackling or buzzing sound coming from an extension cord or electrical outlet.

For more tips, visit the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) website.

Injured by an Electrical Extension Cord Fire in Massachusetts?

If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in an electrical extension cord fire, then call the electrical extension cord fire lawyers at the Law Offices of Gerald J. Noonan today. We have a proven track record with over 35 years of legal experience. Our personal injury lawyers have successfully represented victims of  fires for decades and we are ready to take on your case today.

No matter where you are located, we are just a phone call away. Call our law offices today to schedule a free no-obligation case review and consultation at (508) 588-0422 or click the link below to use our Free Case Evaluation Form.

Free Legal Consultation, Brockton Accident Attorneys

Our personal injury lawyers assist accident victims throughout all of Massachusetts, including but not limited to Plymouth County including Brockton, Plymouth, Bridgewater, Marshfield, Hingham, Duxbury, Wareham, Abington, Rockland, Whitman, Hanson, Holbrook, Middleborough; Norfolk County including Quincy, Stoughton, Dedham, Weymouth, Braintree, Avon, Holbrook, Randolph, Canton, Sharon, Brookline, Franklin; Bristol County including New Bedford, Fall River, Taunton, Attleboro, Mansfield, Easton, Raynham, Lakeville, Norton; Cape Cod, Hyannis, Falmouth, Barnstable, Worcester, Springfield, Holyoke, and the Greater Boston area including Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Everett, Lawrence, Lynn, Revere, Dorchester, Roxbury.

Related posts:

Propane Gas Explosion Accident and Fire
If a propane tank of stored compressed gas explodes while being used or stored for any purpose, catastrophic injuries, including death are likely. The...
Hot Water Heater Explosion Accident and Fire
Hot water heaters heat water contained in tanks so that when you turn on the kitchen or bath tap inside the home, hot water comes out of the faucet. T...
House Fire Accident Lawyer
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, each year house fires kill more Americans than all natural disasters combined. Cooking, arson, and heating ...
About Mattress Fires and Flammability Standards
It is hard to believe that many home fires begin with the mattress or bedding in bedrooms. Between the period of 2005 to 2009, the National Fire Prote...
About Accidents Involving Couch Fires
Unlike with mattresses, most of the fire prevention procedures and practices in the upholstered furniture segment come from the manufacturers themselv...
Space Heater Fires
The NFPA identified the leading factors contributing to home space heating fires. The main causes are failing to clean the chimney and failing to clea...
Gas Fireplace Explosions and Fires
Residential Gas fireplaces provide Massachusetts residents the warmth, comfort, and feel of a real fireplace without the inconvenience or burden of fi...
Smoke Inhalation and Respiratory Failure
Smoke inhalation is the leading cause of death due to fires. It produces injury through several mechanisms, including heat (thermal) injury to the upp...