Foot Degloving Injury
Experienced Foot Degloving Accident Attorneys
Degloving injuries are severe and catastrophic injuries that result when the skin is forcibly detached from the body, like when a sock is peeled off a foot, revealing the underlying muscle, tendons, bones and tissue. A degloving is known as a avulsion injury. An avulsion is a very serious soft-tissue injury which results when layers of skin and soft tissue are forcibly ripped off the body. These injuries typically occur to the hands, arms, legs and feet. Ankle and foot degloving accidents are the most common though.
Causes of Degloved Foot and Ankle
An ankle and foot degloving injury typically results from trauma. They are often the result of some crushing or penetrating mechanisms. There are many ways a foot or ankle degloving injury can occur. Every accident though requires a tremendous amount of force to tear the skin off while leaving the underlying soft tissue intact
- Pedestrian Accident: Pedestrians are very vulnerable to degloving injuries especially when they are struck by a motor vehicle. 150 lb pedestrian made of flesh and bone is no match for a 1 ton vehicle made of metal. Degloved foot accidents commonly occur when the lower leg gets stuck between a hard, fixed surface like a driveway and a moving object like a car tire. Pedestrian backover accidents are very serious and often times produce delgoving injuries. Most pedestrian backover accidents occur in parking lots or driveways or on construction sites.
- Car Accidents: Car accidents are a major cause of foot and leg degloving injuries as they are capable of producing the forced needed to tear the skin off the body. Serious car accidents are capable of throwing passengers and drivers from the vehicle causing the body and skin to drag along the pavement which can cause a degloved ankle and foot.
- Motorcycle Accidents: The legs and feet of motorcycle operators are exposed making foot and leg deglovings common in motorcycle accidents. Often times in an accident a motorcycle operator’s foot and leg will drag across the asphalt at high speeds for an extended period.
- Workplace Injuries: Heavy machinery like forklifts, backhoes and bobcats are also major causes of work-related foot degloving injuries. These avulsion injuries are common in industrial settings that use lathes, punchpresses and machines that operate on conveyor belts. Mechanics and carpenters work in industrial settings with machinery that are known to cause foot, leg and ankle degloving accidents.
These degloving accidents are usually always the result or careless or negligent vehicle and machine operators, negligent employer work practices and defective products.
Medical Complications from Degloved Ankle or Foot
Prompt diagnosis and treatment are essential to minimize the risk of foot amputation. Most treatment centers around reconstructing the foot. Often times other injuries occur along with the flesh wound. Degloved foot injuries often times involve torn tendons and ligaments and nerve damage resulting in a loss of sensation or feeling. Foot degloving injuries frequently produce orthopedic injuries like ankle or talus fractures, bimalleolar and trimalleolar fractures, and heel bone or calcaneus fractures.
These associated injuries require a collaborative effort that brings together specialists like podiatrists, plastic surgeons, orthopedic surgeons, vasular surgeons, wound care specialists and neurologists. Together these specialists will work on any of the following treatments:
- realigning and resetting any broken bones using open reduction and internal or external fixation procedure;
- revascularizing which involves restoring blood flow to the injured foot and ankle area;
- replantation which involves reattaching a detached body part like a toe;
- several skin debridements which involves removing damaged, infected or dead skin tissue from the injured area which improves the healing potential of the remaining skin and tissue;
- skin grafting which involves removing healthy skin from an unaffected or uninjured part of the body like the inner thigh and transplanting it to the ankle and foot wound;
- negative-pressure wound therapy to enhance wound healing;
- foot amputation
Our Experienced Massachusetts Accident Claims Personal Injury Attorneys are Here to Help You. Free consultation. No obligation. No fee unless we recover for you.
The skilled personal injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Gerald J. Noonan have provided protection and legal representation to clients in Boston and surrounding areas of Massachusetts for years, achieving countless settlements and jury verdicts for accident victims. Learn more information about our services; get in touch with us today.
For your free, no-obligation case review and consultation call our law firm today at (508) 588-0422 and you will have taken your first step towards getting fair compensation for your injuries or for the loss of a loved one. You can also click here to use our Free Case Evaluation Form.
We offer a free, no-obligation legal consultation to help you understand your rights and the value of your case.
Our personal injury trial lawyers handle all types of accident claims including those involving catastrophic injuries, throughout all of Massachusetts including, but not limited to, those in the following counties, cities and towns: Plymouth County including Brockton, Plymouth, Bridgewater, Marshfield, Hingham, Duxbury, Wareham, Abington, Rockland, Whitman, Hanson, Holbrook, Middleborough; Norfolk County including Quincy, Stoughton, Dedham, Weymouth, Braintree, Avon, Holbrook, Randolph, Canton, Sharon, Brookline, Franklin; Bristol County including New Bedford, Fall River, Taunton, Attleboro, Mansfield, Easton, Raynham, Lakeville, Norton; Cape Cod, Falmouth, Barnstable and the Greater Boston area including Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Everett, Lynn, Revere, Dorchester, Roxbury.
A contact burn is typically the result of a child’s skin having direct contact with a hot object such as a curling iron, cigarette lighter, fireplace,...
Sadly, scarring and disfigurement are common consequences of many accidents, and can be both difficult and expensive to treat. They can also be painfu...
Experienced Degloving Accident Attorneys Arm and hand Degloving injuries occur when soft tissue and skin are forcibly ripped off the body, just like ...
Today, burns and scalds are a major cause of serious injury for young children. These burns can require hospitalization and can involve years of treat...
Scars on the hands, neck or face serve as a constant reminder for an accident and often conjure up memories of a traumatic event. They can also have a...
Smoke inhalation is the leading cause of death due to fires. It produces injury through several mechanisms, including heat (thermal) injury to the upp...
Hundreds people die every year from complications due to burns and even more experience non-fatal burn injuries and permanent scarring. Burn accidents...
What are circumcision errors? Circumcision is a process that involves the removal of the foreskin from the tip of the penis for either medical or r...