Many urologists are capable of performing their jobs without harming patients, but sometimes these physicians commit malpractice.
Urologists are particularly helpful in treating a variety of medical conditions that originate in the urinary tract. These medical professionals are also capable of performing surgeries to help treat cancer, male infertility, and remove obstructions.
There are over 10,000 urologist currently practicing medicine in the United States. Unfortunately, that is a very small number of specialists in light of the millions of people that require their services. That is one of the main reason urologist are paid so well. The average urologists in the United States has an average salary of around $350,000. However, over 10 years of training is required in order to become a qualified urologist. There is medical school that lasts 4 years which is followed by a 5 to 6 year residency where the last 3 to 4 years are dedicated to focusing on the practice of urology.
Common Types of Procedures Performed by Urologists
Some of the most common types of procedures performed by urologists include:
- Diagnosis of UTI: Urinary Tract Infections are much more common in women than in men, but the condition still afflicts men. A urologist is able to treat urinary tract infections and can monitor a patient’s condition to make sure that he or she remains healthy.
- Diagnosis and treatment of stones in the urinary tract: Urologists frequently order diagnostic imaging tests to help determine whether a patient has a kidney or bladder stone. In some cases, a urologist might have to break down the stone. For this Gallbladder Surgery Malpractice is common.
- Diagnosis of cancer: Urologists are able to treat a variety of cancers including conditions that affect the bladder, kidneys, prostate, and testicles.
- Interstitial laser therapy: This procedure involves small devices that are used to destroy abnormal tissue in the prostate through the delivery of concentrated heat.
- Kidney transplant surgery: Urologists are capable of performing kidney transplants for patients who are in renal failure.
- Prostate examination: During their lives, many men experience some type of complication as the result of an enlarged prostate. One of the deadliest conditions that this procedure screens for is prostate cancer.
- Treatment of congenital defects: Children who are born with certain birth defects like epispadias and hypospadias often receive treatment from a urologist who uses a variety of procedures to treat the conditions.
- Treatment of male infertility: Men who experience infertility are often able to work a urologist to resolve the matter or discover an alternative method of conceiving a child.
- Treatment of sexual dysfunction: There are a variety of conditions that can result in sexual dysfunction. Some of the most common conditions of this nature faced by men include erectile dysfunction, penile fibrosis, and premature ejaculation.
- Vasectomy procedures: Any person who undergoes a vasectomy will have the operation performed by a urologist.
How Urologists Most Often Commit Medical Malpractice
The following are some of the most common ways a urologists can commit malpractice:
- Failing to monitor patients properly after a procedure.
- Failing to order the appropriate tests in a timely manner.
- Medication errors including dosage mistakes, drug interactions, and prescribing the wrong medication.
- Misinterpreting test results.
- Surgical errors including leaving material inside of a patient, making unintended cuts without repairing the damage, operating on the wrong body part, and the perforation of organs.
Obtain the Assistance of a Skilled Medical Malpractice Attorney Today
At the Law Offices of Gerald J. Noonan our legal counsel has helped numerous people obtain the compensation that they deserve. If you or a loved one was impacted by medical malpractice, it is a wise idea to schedule an initial free consultation during which time our legal counsel can discuss the various options available to obtain the compensation you deserve. Our legal counsel knows what it takes to win even the most difficult cases and will remain committed to making sure that your case resolves in a positive manner.
We offer a free, no-obligation legal consultation to help you understand your rights and the value of your case.
Our law firm is available to assist clients throughout Massachusetts, including but not limited to: Plymouth County including Brockton, Plymouth, Bridgewater, Wareham, Abington, Rockland, Whitman, Hanson, Holbrook Middleboro; Norfolk County including Quincy, Stoughton, Dedham, Weymouth, Braintree, Randolph, Canton, Sharon, Brookline, Franklin; Bristol County including New Bedford, Fall River, Taunton, Wrentham, Attleboro, Mansfield, Easton, Raynham; and Middlesex County including Cambridge, Lowell, Somerville, Newton, Woburn, Framingham, Malden, Chelsea, Everett, Arlington, Medford and Waltham; Cape Cod, Barnstable, Hyannis, Falmouth; Springfield & Worcester; Essex County including Lynn, Lawrence, Peabody, Haverhill; and the Greater Boston area including, Revere, Dorchester, and Roxbury.New Bedford, Fall River, Taunton, Attleboro, Westport, Dartmouth, Mansfield, Easton, Raynham, Lakeville, Norton; Cape Cod, Hyannis, Falmouth, Barnstable and the Greater Boston area including Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Everett, Lawrence, Lynn, Revere, Dorchester, Roxbury.
Failure to Diagnose Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms Malpractice Lawyers Abdominal aortic aneurysms involve enlargement of the large blood vessel that supp...
Massachusetts OBGYN Malpractice Lawyers Obstetricians and gynecologists are tasked with helping women maintain their reproductive health. These m...
Information About Biopsies Performing a biopsy is one of the most reliable ways for medical professionals to diagnose conditions that require deeper ...
Massachusetts Pediatrician Malpractice Lawyers Pediatricians specialize in the medical treatment of infants and children. These medical professio...
What is deep vein thrombosis? It is appropriate for patients to trust their doctors to correctly diagnose their medical conditions and provide adequa...
While most gallbladder surgeries proceed without problems, some result in very serious complications. The gallbladder is a sac in the human body th...
Southeast Massachusetts Malpractice Lawyers, Boston Colonoscopies are by far the best detection tool for a variety of conditions including colon...
Oncology is a very complicated field of medicine. As a result, medical mistakes are very common. Oncologists specialize in diagnosing and treating va...