Operating Under the Influence – First Offense OUI
Massachusetts has some of toughest penalties when it comes to drunk driving. You should have a tough lawyer.
If you were arrested for an Operating Under the Influence/Driving Under the Influence (OUI/DUI) offense, you are facing two different cases against you. The first is a case that involves the status of your drivers license in Massachusetts and the other involves the criminal case and criminal penalties if found guilty.
Massachusetts has some of toughest penalties when it comes to drunk driving. The most important decision you can make following an OUI arrest is hiring an experienced lawyer. Click on the following link to review some of our drunk driving case results.
What Are The Penalties for First time OUI Offenders?
Anyone conviction of a first-time OUI offense faces the following penalties, fines and suspensions.
- A fine of at least $500 but not more than $5,000 or imprisonment in a house of corrections for no more than 2.5 years. First time offenders rarely face jail time;
- A loss of drivers license for 1 year. This is in addition to any suspension that resulted from failing or refusing breath test.
For 1st time convictions under 24DA sentencing includes:
- probation for to 2 years;
- driver alcohol education program (usually sixteen weeks, one night per week) as a condition of probation; and
- loss of license for 45 to 90 and at least 180 days for anyone under the age of 21.
Issues dealing with a loss of drivers license are usually the primary concern with individuals found guilty of a first time drunk driving offense. That is what makes the 24D so appealing as it can reduce the loss of license from 1 year down to 45 days.
First-time offender sentenced to the 24D program are entitled to a hardship license if they can show they are in need of a license. A hardship license allows you to operate a vehicle 7 days a week for the same 12 hour period.
Charged With Your First DUI/DWI Offense? Call our law firm today for experienced legal help.
No matter where you are located, we are just a phone call away. Call our legal team today at The Law Offices of Gerald J. Noonan today to schedule a free no-obligation case review and consultation at (508) 588-0422 and you will have taken your first step to find out what your legal options are for a defense against drunk driving charges. You can also click here to use our Free Case Evaluation Form.
Our law firm is available to assist clients throughout all of Southeast Massachusetts.