Dryer and Washing Machine Fires

Washing machine firesThe most important thing someone can do to avoid a dryer or washing machine fire is to clean the lint filter between washes. According to the National Fire Protection Association, in 2010, there were about 16,800 reported fires involving clothes dryers or washing machines in homes. 51 people died, 380 people were injured, and millions of dollars in property damage was recorded.

Why Dryer and Washing Machine Fires Happen

Laundry machines are available as stand-alone units (washing machine and clothes dryer) or as a washer and dryer combination (commonly found in apartment buildings or small spaces). When a laundry machine is the cause of a fire 9 out of 10 times the clothes dryer was responsible for the fire.

The main causes of clothes dryer fires are (1) failure to clean the lint trap, (2) unclassified mechanical failure or malfunction, or (3) electrical failure or malfunction. There was little difference in safety levels between a gas-fueled clothes dryer and electric powered clothes dryer.

Who is Responsible for Repairing Dryer and Washing Machines

  • Renters – If your written lease provides that certain appliances come with the rented unit, then you are paying for a unit with working appliances. If the appliances are not functioning property, the landlord must fix, repair, or replace them within a reasonable time period.
  • Landlord or Homeowners – The landlord or homeowner is responsible for repairing and maintaining the dryer and washing machine.

Protecting Your Family and Belongings

The following safety tips should be kept in mind when installing, maintaining, or removing washing machines and clothes dryers.

  • Hire a professional to install your clothes dryer. Many appliance companies offer installation services (free or add on) as part of the purchase price of the clothes dryer.
  • Install and use the clothes dryer with a lint filter.
  • Before or after each use, clean the lint filter by removing and disposing of any lint that has collected around the drum of the clothes dryer.

Injured by a Dryer or Washing Machine Fire in Massachusetts?

If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a dryer or washing machine fire, then call the Law Offices of Gerald J. Noonan today. We have a proven track record with over 35 years of legal experience.  Our accident victim and personal injury attorneys have been successfully representing victims of fires for decades and we are ready to take on your case today.

No matter where you are located, we are just a phone call away. Call our law offices today to schedule a free no-obligation case review and consultation at (508) 588-0422 or click the link below to use our Free Case Evaluation Form.

Free Legal Consultation, Brockton Accident Attorneys

Our personal injury lawyers assist accident victims throughout all of Southeast Massachusetts, including but not limited to Plymouth County including Brockton, Plymouth, Bridgewater, Marshfield, Hingham, Duxbury, Wareham, Abington, Rockland, Whitman, Hanson, Holbrook, Middleborough; Norfolk County including Quincy, Stoughton, Dedham, Weymouth, Braintree, Avon, Holbrook, Randolph, Canton, Sharon, Brookline, Franklin; Bristol County including New Bedford, Fall River, Taunton, Attleboro, Mansfield, Easton, Raynham, Lakeville, Norton; Cape Cod, Hyannis, Falmouth, Barnstable, Worcester, Springfield, Holyoke, and the Greater Boston area including Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Everett, Lawrence, Lynn, Revere, Dorchester, Roxbury.

Related posts:

About House and Apartment Explosions
Personal injury cases involving house and apartment explosions are very difficult and complicated. The majority of the time an explosion accident is ...
Who Can You Sue for Injuries Caused by a Natural Gas Explosion or Fire Accident?
A natural gas explosion is generally the result of negligence by an individual or company. A gas leak of some kind combined with an ignition spark is ...
About Mattress Fires and Flammability Standards
It is hard to believe that many home fires begin with the mattress or bedding in bedrooms. Between the period of 2005 to 2009, the National Fire Prote...
Home Gas Generator Fires and Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Accidents
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas that is toxic to humans and pets. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of combustion and is produ...
About Electrical Fires
The cause of the electrical fire is often unseen, located behind the walls or in electrical wiring. The victims are often caught by surprise, unaware ...
Smoke Alarm Lawsuits and Defective Smoke Detectors
There is no doubt that smoke detectors save lives. Most residential fires start in the early morning or late at night while residents are asleep. The ...
Photoelectric and Ionization Smoke Detectors
Slow moving fires are the leading cause of fire related deaths in homes and the most commonly installed type of smoke detector in the U.S. is not desi...
Gas Fireplace Explosions and Fires
Residential Gas fireplaces provide Massachusetts residents the warmth, comfort, and feel of a real fireplace without the inconvenience or burden of fi...