Gas Fireplace Explosions and Fires
Causes of Gas Fireplace Explosions and Fires
Residential Gas fireplaces provide Massachusetts residents the warmth, comfort, and feel of a real fireplace without the inconvenience or burden of fireplace maintenance and having to chop or buy fire wood. Although convenient, these home gas fireplaces pose significant risk of explosions and house fires if they are improperly installed or maintained. Gas Fireplace leaks can result in carbon monoxide poisoning, but can also result in explosions that can level an entire neighborhood block.
The following are some of the ways in which gas fireplaces can catch fire to structures, cause explosions, or deadly chemical poisoning:
- Faulty Gas Valves: Faulty gas valves can come loose allowing flammable gas to leak. The valves on/off might be defective causing gas to continually leak into the area where the pilot light is located. A huge explosion can result if a large amount of gas is leaked and collected before a spark ignites into an explosion
- Defective Chimney Design: Some gas fireplace chimneys are now design and installed to handled high temperatures produced by the fireplace. If that is the case then this can result in a buildup of soot and creasote in the chimney. Creasote is a black sticky substance and is the leading cause of chimney fires.
- Maintenance and Installation: Improper maintenance and installation are other causes.
Recent Gas Fireplace Product Recalls
- Product Name: Heat-N-Glo and Heatilator Corner Unit Series indoor gas fireplaces
- Units Effected: 2,500
- Hazard: The back of the firebox can bow out, posing a fire hazard.
- Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the gas fireplaces and contact the fireplace store where the unit was purchased to arrange for a free inspection and installation of a correction kit. The firm’s dealers are contacting known purchasers.
- Sold at: Fireplace stores from March 2008 through November 2014 for $3,500 to $5,000.
- Manufacturer(s): Hearth & Home Technologies of Lakeville, Minn.
- Product Name: Hearth & Home Technologies, Heat-N-Glo, Heatilator, Outdoor Lifestyle, and Quadra Fire, natural or propane gas indoor and outdoor fireplaces, stoves, inserts and log sets.
- Hazard: The gas valve in the unit can leak, posing a fire hazard.
- Units Effected: 20,000
- Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the gas fireplaces, stoves, inserts and log sets, turn off the gas to the units and contact the fireplace store where the unit was purchased to arrange for a free inspection and, if necessary, valve replacement. The firm’s dealers are contacting known purchasers.
- Sold at: Fireplace stores from May 2014 through July 2014 for between $1,200 and $8,000.
- Manufacturer: Fireplace Manufacturer: Hearth & Home Technologies, of Lakeville, Minn.
- Name of product: Napoleon GD3200-P and GD3200B-P Propane Gas Fireplaces
- Hazard: The pressure from the ignition of the propane gas can cause the glass front to break, posing a laceration hazard.
- Units Effected: 600 units in the United States and 2,400 in Canada
- Remedy: Consumers should stop using the recalled fireplaces and contact their local Napoleon Fireplace Hearth Dealer to arrange a service call to have a free upgrade kit installed on their fireplace. The upgrade kit must be installed by a qualified gas appliance technician.
- Sold at: Hearth Fireplace specialty stores nationwide from August 1992 through May 2001 for about $1,500.
- Manufacturer: Wolf Steel Ltd., Ontario, Canada.
- Name of product: Kozy Heat, Ambiance and Stellar Hearth gas fireplaces and fireplace inserts
- Hazard: The main control module can allow gas to be released and buildup in the burner area, posing an explosion hazard.
- Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled fireplaces and fireplace inserts, turn off the gas to the units and contact the dealer where the unit was purchased or Hussong Manufacturing to have the ignition board on the fireplace main control module replaced free of charge
- Unites Effected: 16,000
- Sold at: Fireplace dealers and distributors from October 2009 to April 2013 for between $1,450 and $3,325.
- Manufacturer: Hussong Manufacturing Co. Inc., d/b/a Kozy Heat Fireplaces, of Lakefield, Minn.
- Name of product: Lennox and Superior gas fireplaces
- Hazard: Defective fireplace gas connectors can leak, posing a fire hazard.
- Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled gas fireplaces, turn off the gas to the fireplace and contact Lennox Hearth Products for a free inspection and replacement of the leaking gas connector. Lennox Hearth Products and its distributors are contacting purchasers directly.
- Sold at: Fireplace stores and by HVAC retailers and installers nationwide from April 2012 through December 2012 for between $1,200 and $9,000.
- Manufacturer: Lennox Hearth Products, of Nashville, Tenn.
Injured By A Gas Fire Place Explosion or Fire In Massachusetts?
If you or a loved one has been injured by a fire, explosion, chemical or gas leak from a gas fireplace, then you may be entitled to compensation for your injury or the loss of a loved one. Call the Law Offices of Gerald J. Noonan today. We have a proven track record with over 35 years of legal experience and have successfully represented victims of fires for decades and we are ready to take on your case today.
We offer a free, no-obligation legal consultation to help you understand your rights and the value of your case.
Our law firm is available to assist clients throughout Massachusetts, including but not limited to: Plymouth County including Brockton, Plymouth, Bridgewater, Wareham, Abington, Rockland, Whitman, Hanson, Holbrook Middleboro; Norfolk County including Quincy, Stoughton, Dedham, Weymouth, Braintree, Randolph, Canton, Sharon, Brookline, Franklin; Bristol County including New Bedford, Fall River, Taunton, Wrentham, Attleboro, Mansfield, Easton, Raynham; and Middlesex County including Cambridge, Lowell, Somerville, Newton, Woburn, Framingham, Malden, Chelsea, Everett, Arlington, Medford and Waltham; Cape Cod, Barnstable, Hyannis, Falmouth; Springfield & Worcester; Essex County including Lynn, Lawrence, Peabody, Haverhill; and the Greater Boston area including, Revere, Dorchester, and Roxbury.New Bedford, Fall River, Taunton, Attleboro, Westport, Dartmouth, Mansfield, Easton, Raynham, Lakeville, Norton; Cape Cod, Hyannis, Falmouth, Barnstable and the Greater Boston area including Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Everett, Lawrence, Lynn, Revere, Dorchester, Roxbury.
A natural gas explosion is generally the result of negligence by an individual or company. A gas leak of some kind combined with an ignition spark is ...
The cause of the electrical fire is often unseen, located behind the walls or in electrical wiring. The victims are often caught by surprise, unaware ...
Fires caused by electric extension cords can be extremely dangerous because of the amount of heat they radiate and how quickly they ignite. Common inj...
All too often the greed and negligence of profit-driven corporations and businesses expose children to serious and avoidable injury. As a result of m...
Mobile home park and trailer fires can be a destructive force. A neighbor’s negligence or a landlord’s failure to provide a safe environment, can caus...
Children are at the greatest risk for health issues related to lead poisoning. Children have smaller bodies that are growing and this makes them susc...
Landlords, building owners or property management companies that fail to properly install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors and warning systems a...
Legal Liability for Crib-related Injuries Parents are confronted with important decisions everyday when it comes to the safety and well-being of thei...