Brockton, Massachusetts: Rideshare Accident Attorneys
Ridesharing services offer an excellent way to get around town, whether you lack a vehicle of your own or simply need a sober driver after a night out. Many people choose to use these services in an attempt to improve safety: preventing drunk driving or driving when drowsy or ill, for example. Unfortunately, Uber drivers have no more training than the average driver on the street. Not only that, increased mileage and wear and tear on Uber vehicles can cause an increased risk of mechanical failures.
If you suffer injuries in an Uber accident, you may deserve compensation for your medical bills and pain and suffering. Contact The Law Offices of Gerald J. Noonan today at (508) 588-0422 to learn more about your legal rights after an Uber accident.
Past Auto Accident Result Claims Handled by The Law Offices of Gerald J. Noonan
The Law Offices of Gerald J. Noonan bring extensive experience to the table when dealing with auto accident claims, including Uber accidents. Our past claims include:
- $225,000 awarded after a motor vehicle accident
- $175,000 awarded in a defective tire accident
- $149,000 awarded in a motor vehicle accident
- $100,000 awarded in multiple motor vehicle accidents
Unfortunately, these are simply past results, and cannot guarantee the results of your claim. We can, however, give you a better idea of what compensation you deserve for any injuries suffered in an Uber accident, as well as providing you with vitally-needed assistance as you file your claim.
Common Injuries Faced After Uber Accidents
Uber accidents can leave victims with serious injuries, especially if Uber drivers attempt to ignore the rules of the road to get passengers to their destination faster. Speeding, running stop signs or red lights, and driving aggressively can all substantially raise the risk of severe injuries in any type of accident, including an Uber accident.
Victims may face:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord damage
- Road rash
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue damage
Who Bears Liability for Uber Accidents?
Your personal injury protection insurance provides coverage for the initial cost associated with car accident injuries regardless of who caused that accident: an Uber driver, a driver in another vehicle, or you. Personal injury protection insurance ensures that you can pay your initial medical bills and provide coverage for some of your missed time at work. If you do not carry personal injury protection insurance, or if your expenses related to the accident exceed the coverage offered by your personal injury protection insurance, you will need to identify the entity that caused the accident to file a personal injury claim.
- The Uber driver. When an Uber driver causes an accident while transporting a passenger, Uber provides insurance that offers coverage for the driver and all passengers in the vehicle at the time of the accident. Uber drivers bear liability for the accident when:
- They fail to follow the rules of the road, resulting in an accident
- Distraction or inebriation results in an accident
- Mechanical failure caused by poor vehicle maintenance habits—failing to replace tires as they get old and worn, for example—causes an accident
- Other drivers. In Massachusetts, drivers must carry a minimum of $20,000 in bodily liability coverage per injured individual per accident. A driver who causes an accident due to negligence, ignoring the rules of the road, distraction, or inebriation may bear liability for any injuries you sustain in that accident.
- Vehicle manufacturers. The manufacturer of the vehicle may bear liability for an accident when a defective part causes that accident. If a malfunctioning or defective part not original to the vehicle causes an accident, the manufacturer of that part may bear liability.
- Mechanics. Sometimes, mechanics responsible for repairing or maintaining a vehicle may improperly repair those vehicles. In other cases, mechanics may miss obvious defects or problems, leading to an accident. In these cases, mechanics may share liability for the accident.
Talk to a lawyer to help determine who bears liability for your Uber accident. When multiple parties share liability, it can help increase the compensation you receive for your injuries.
The Compensation You Can Receive After an Uber Accident
The compensation you deserve after an Uber accident may vary. Uber offers $1 million in liability coverage when its drivers cause an accident while transporting Uber passengers. Unfortunately, other drivers may carry much lower liability protection.
Once your injuries exceed the limits of your personal injury protection insurance, if you carry it, you could potentially claim:
- Your medical expenses. If you suffer serious injuries in an Uber accident, you may have substantial medical expenses, including everything from the cost of emergency care to ongoing therapy or treatment for your injuries. The higher your medical expenses, the higher the compensation you may need to claim after an Uber accident. Keep track of all your medical expenses to include as part of your claim.
- Your lost wages. Even minor injuries can lead to lost time at work: an immediate emergency room trip and time off work during your recovery, for example. More serious injuries can cause you to lose even more time at work. You can also claim lost earning potential if you cannot return to your previous job due to your injuries.
- Your pain and suffering. Not only do many types of injuries cause substantial physical pain, they can also cause emotional anguish and suffering, especially if you feel isolated or have to miss out on planned activities. Talk to an experienced personal injury attorney to help quantify your pain and suffering.
Your Brockton Uber Accident Lawyer
You may need to fight for the compensation you deserve following serious injuries in an Uber accident. Not all insurance companies will offer the compensation you actually need for your injuries—and having an experienced personal injury attorney on your side can, for many clients, make a big difference in the compensation you receive.
Contact The Law Offices of Gerald J. Noonan online or call today at (508) 588-0422 to schedule your free consultation, and learn more about your rights following an Uber accident.