Brockton MA Motor Vehicle Offense Lawyer – Driving On A Suspended License
Operating a motor vehicle on a suspended or revoke license is a law that is governed by Massachusetts General Law Chapter 90 section 10. A loss of a license for under 1year is considered a suspension while loss of license for over a year is considered a revocation. Massachusetts General Law Chapter 90 section 10 also prohibits the operation a motor vehicle that has a suspended/revoked registration.
Operating a motor vehicle on a suspended or revoke license is a common offense and the penalties are rather broad consisting of fines, license limitations. Penalties imposed by the Massachusetts Registry in the wake of a conviction are often times more sever than those imposed by the criminal court.
In order to prove the offense of operating without a license the commonwealth will have to show the following:
- The defendant operated a motor vehicle;
- The defendants license was suspended or revoked at the time; and
- The defendant had notice that his license to operate was either suspended or about to be suspended.
A driver has been given notice when the registry sends a letter to the addressed stated on the driver’s license. A defendant will be considered to have notice once the letter is delivered regardless of whether or not the driver opened the letter and read its contents.
- 1st Offense: A first offense violation of this law will result in a fine ranging from $500 to $1000 or a 10 day jail sentence in the house of correction or both a fine and jail time. First offense though is likely looking at a $500 fine plus another $125 dollar fine known as a surfine.
- 2nd Offense: A second offense violation of this law often results in a 10 day suspended sentence to the house of corrections and a fine.
- 3rd Offense: A second offense violation of this law often results in a 10 day sentence to the house of corrections.
Free Legal Consultation With A Southeastern Massachusetts Experienced Traffic and Motor Vehicle Offense Lawyer
Our motor vehicle violations lawyers have been representing the residents of southeastern Massachusetts for over thirty years. To ensure that your driving privileges are protected, contact the motor vehicle and traffic offense attorneys at The Law Offices of Gerald J. Noonan.
No matter where you are located, we are just a phone call away. Call us to schedule a free no-obligation case review and consultation at (508) 588-0422 and you will have taken your first step to find out how best to confront this important matter. You can also click here to use our Free Case Evaluation Form.
Serving all of Plymouth County including Brockton, Abington, Bridgewater, Whitman, Hanson, Hingham, Wareham, Halifax, Middleborough, Rockland, Lakeville, Holbrook, Avon, Kingston, Pembroke, Plympton, Pembroke, Hanover, Carver, Duxbury, Marshfield, Norwell, Hanover, Scituate, East/West Bridgewater, Rochester, Marion, Mattapoisett.